Full-time vocational school - Suitability test
Next date of examination: 04/12/2024
The two-day suitability test takes place once every year. The programme then starts the following September.
A Maximum of 100 points can be reached in the suitability test: Practical part maximum 60 points, drawing maximum 20 Points, instrumental recital maximum 10 points, interview including application documents maximum 10 points. The board of examiners is responsible for evaluating the test results, which are documented on paper. Applicants that do not reach at least half of the possible points in the craftmanship part will not pass the qualifying examination.
Acceptance to the programme of choice is based on the test results. In the case of even scores, the results of the practical test will weigh more heavily in ranking applicants. In the event of equal points, the evaluation of the practical part (artisan part) will determine the suitability. In the event of equal points in the total score as well as the artisan part, the number of points in the evaluation of the technical drawing part will determine the suitability.
Up to 12 violin makers, 4 plucked instrument makers, 4 wood wind instrument makers and 4 brass wind instrument makers are admitted per school year. The actual number depends on the number of full-time vocational school vacancies available.
Suitability test parts
- Practical part (working test)
- Drawing (no previous knowledge required)
- Audition on the bowed, plucked, woodwind or brass instrument which one has been taught (please bring your own instrument). Only acoustic instruments are allowed.
- Part I: Piece of choice. The applicant should choose a piece of music (or movement there of) which represents his or her current level of playing.
- Part II: Instrumental test (Applicants are expected to read music (in treble clef respectively bass clef, no tablature!)
Bowed instruments: Playing of scales, triads or other one-part tone sequences in various keys and of a range of two octaves.
Plucked instruments: Sight-reading of an easy melody.
Woodwind instruments: Sight-reading of an easy melody.
Brass instruments: Sight-reading of an easy melody.